Minimum Year Group
Keyboard shortcuts are the best way to improve your speed and confidence in operating a computer. In this unit you will learn a variety of useful computer shortcuts.
This work is shared under the following license: Creative Commons BY-SA-NC
Any CC attribution, thanks, credit, etc.
You do not have access to this action.
What's A Keyboard Shortcut?
- A keyboard shortcut is a combination of keys that are pressed together in order to make a computer do something.
- Keyboard shortcuts are quicker than using the mouse, so getting good at using shortcuts is part of becoming a tech ninja.
- They consist of:
- Modifier keys - one or more keys that are held to start the shortcut, including Command, Shift, Option and Control.
- Action keys - one or more keys that execute the shortcut.
- When using a shortcut you should:
- Hold the modifier keys down
- Then press the action keys.
Basic Keyboard Shortcuts
- The following video covers 25 of the most basic and useful keyboard shortcuts for Mac
- Watch the video, pausing it after each new short cut to practice.
- If you're on a Chromebook, this video covers 23 useful shortcuts
- It takes time to memorise and master shortcuts, but the more you practice the better you get, so try and use them every day until they are fixed in your mind.
At Your Own Risk
- If you're on a Mac, try the following keyboard shortcuts and see what they do:
- Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Eject (or Cmd-Opt-Ctrl-Power on newer Macs)
- Opt-Shft-Volume Up/Down
- On a Chromebook, try these out
- Ctrl + Shift + Refresh/F3
- Ctrl-Alt-/ (this one's REALLY cool!)
- Are they useful? Sometimes!
- Having learned and practiced a range of keyboard shortcuts, you are now ready to complete this unit.
- Use Photo Booth on your Mac or the Camera on your Chromebook to record a 1-minute video of yourself introducing the idea of keyboard shortcuts, and then giving your list of your 5 favourite shortcuts.
- The video does not need to be perfect: think of it as an informal reflection. Try and record it in one take.
- When you video is ready, submit it to this unit as evidence of your learning.
There are no records to display.