Prerequisites Google Drive Basics
Departments Human Technologies
Authors Ross Parker
Minimum Year Group None
Typing is something most of us learn informally as we go. However, learning to type fast can save you lots and lots of time, so maybe it is worth investing some time.
This work is shared under the following license: Creative Commons BY-SA-NC
Why should I bother learning this?
What is needed to run this unit?
Do not try and force this. What areas of other subjects might this reflect and/discuss language. For IB, links with ToK.
What was successful? What needs changing? Alternative Assessments and Lesson Ideas? What other Differentiation Ideas/Plans could be used?
Any CC attribution, thanks, credit, etc.
This page requires you to be logged in to access it. Please login and try again.
- Ever find yourself thinking faster than you can type? Why not spend some time now learning how to type properly, and save yourself hours of your future time?
Take A Test
- Before starting to try and improve your typing speed, take some time to do a speed test at http://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu, and take a screenshot of your speed.
- Keep this screenshot so you can look back and use it for comparison at the end of the unit.
- Spend as much time as you need working through exercises on http://typingclub.com, signing in with your @ichk.edu.hk Google account before you get started.
- From time to time, test your typing speed at http://typing-speed-test.aoeu.eu, and see if you can get over 70 WPM.
- Take screenshots as you go to record the change in your typing speed.
Other Typing Fun
- To add some variety, try these typing games:
- The best typists never look at the keyboard: they know where the keys are.
- One way to reduce your impulse to look at the keyboard is to use a keyboard with blank keys.
- If this is not an option, try covering your hands with a cloth:
- This will slow you down a lot, but as you get better at not looking, your typing will speed up.
- The QWERTY keyboard is the standard keyboard layout we use every day.
- How did this end up as the world's keyboard? Is it because it is the fastest? Watch the videos below to learn more.
- We have some loanable keyboard covers in school, if you want to experiment with Dvorak.
- It's not easy!
- You'll need to change the keyboard layout on in macOS.
- Practice typing until you feel you have learned enough.
- Take a screenshot of your best typing speed test score and submit it to Gibbon as evidence of completing this unit.
- It is not vital that you meet the 70 WPM goal, this is just something to aim for: however you do, use your Student Comment when submitting to reflect on your progress.
- Dance Mat Typing
- Super Hyper Spider Typer
- change the keyboard layout on in macOS
There are no records to display.